When we discuss long term care planning and family caregiving, we can sometimes overlook those who don’t have a support network of friends and family who can look out for them. Isolated seniors are often forgotten during the holiday season.
That is why Newman Long Term Care is partnering with a metro area charity, Gifts for Seniors. This independent, 501(c)3 nonprofit provides donated gifts and life-affirming personal contact to isolated seniors in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and surrounding communities through the engagement and support of volunteers and community partners.
The GFS model is simple, but effective.
- Donors provide new, unwrapped gifts from a Wish List through gift drives or drop-offs at gift barrel locations around the Twin Cities metro area
- Service agency partners select and personally deliver gifts to isolated seniors they serve – with that they also give the important gift of a life-affirming visit.
In 2015, Gifts for Seniors served 3,350 isolated seniors in the Twin Cities and seven county metro area with the help of 67 partner agencies and countless dedicated volunteers and barrel hosts. This year, their goal is to serve 4,500 seniors.
How can you help?
- Drop off an item from the Wish List at the Newman Long Term Care office in Richfield between now and December 31.
- Shop online for an item that you can donate via their website
- Order through Amazon Smile, type in and select “Gifts for Seniors”, shop and have your items shipped directly to our operations center (address on bottom of page).
“The greatest gift in life is to be remembered.” Ken Venturi